Prof. Heinrich Klech MD, PhD, FACP, GFMD (workshop organizer)
- Treasurer and Member of the board, PharmaTrain
- Managing director, Vienna School of Clinical Research, Public Health and Medical Education
- Lecturer Internal Medicine, Medical University Vienna
- Former VP Medical and regulatory, Eli Lilly Europe
Wolfgang Wein MD, PhD
- Former marketing and medical director, Eli Lilly
- Former Executive VP Global Oncology Business, Merck, Darmstadt
- Lecturer in Clinical Pharmacology, Medical University Vienna
Karin Brauneis, MSc, CMC
- Senior partner in Business support and consultancy agency
- Specialist for financial development and funding in bioscience economy
- Specialist for bio-science start ups
- Specialist in capital investment strategies for bio-science companies
Mario Schwarz-Maurer, MSc
- Senior partner in business support and consultancy agency
Scope of the WS: This workshop will provide a basic understanding and useful lessons for young scientist- entrepreneurs how to cope with the challenges to successfully commercialize a newly discovered compound or molecule which has great clinical potential.
- What are the essential steps to set up a company?
- How to finance each step of development?
-What does the market look like?
- What is the role of various stakeholders in the process?
- When and how to deal /collaborate with strong partners?
- How to be successful in discussions with investors?
- How far can I stay independent and when I do need a strong partner?
Learning outcomes: At the end of this workshop each participant will have basic and introductory understanding of
- key developmental concepts and financial challenges of the biotechnology business;
- understand the basic elements of bringing a new medicine successfully to the market (example oncology) by utilization of a robust business plan (milestone concept)
- critically evaluate the risk and opportunities to finance each step
- create and evaluate opportunities to attract investments by investors or business partners
- fundamental aspects of science-based companies (short and long range business plan, collaboration between companies, Target Product Profile, due diligence process, alliances and co-operations, portfolio management).
- the opportunities to collaborate with larger Pharma companies
- conceptualize the split of responsibilities in a partnership contract
- augment the level of professional enthusiasm, team spirit and entrepreneurship
- understand the importance of appropriate communication and leadership at all levels